Monday, September 2, 2013

on to Fall.......!

 

Yipee!  I am so excited that this crazy summer is about to come to a close.  Between the "very" hot weather and the rain, I'm soggy, growing vines and tired!  

 Ha!  none of that is true..... just like to exaggerate to emphasis my mood!  

 My week has been wild.... first I completed a pair of pj's for myself......  
light flannel, long pants with camisole.
This was a terrific time.  I love learning to sew.  It is a great satisfaction when you get to see the finished product.  Of course, when I first started to sew the pants, (my first pants)  I initially pinned them so that they looked like they would go on a one legged oompa lumpa.  But, hence....
Barbara asked me a few questions about the instructions I read, and I got my brain in function once again.  She is a great teacher!  

While I was sewing, I tried to run a couple of loads of clothes..... tried is an operable word.  Every load that wasn't large, (how many large loads can a single person have? NONE!)  Well, when the washer would go into it's final cycle, it went off balance.  I opened the top to find suds!  Lots of Suds!  Thinking that was highly strange, but needing to finish, I balanced and started machine again.  Well, low and behold.... the dial changed to the wash cycle again?  It finished the load, but it was strange.  

Not wanted to make things worse, I set out to find out who all sold and serviced these machines.  ( I must add right now that this washer has been in the Burnette family for 10 years, with never a problem..... til now).  Well, much to my dismay I discovered that the manufacturer was a Australian company and the only store to repair was where we bought it.  I went to the store to find out how much it would be to repair and when they could fix it.  The total for repairs is going to run around $300.00.  Ouch! Well, since this seems way high, I set out to see if I could find a cheaper machine new, no such luck!  Ugh!  Oh well, the repairman will be here next Friday and I'll have my washer back.  Until then, I use the laundry room here at the apartments.  Better than going to a laundry mat.  

Then,  Schroeder found a hold in the subfloor near the sliding glass door in the den.  Just a little hole, but a hole none the less.  He found it pulling on the carpet, trying to get on the deck with me.  I went to the office to let them file a maintenance ticket it on it.  The manager said she would send someone over to check it out.  Last week I got a note saying that the survey had been done and "I" would have to move some of the furniture out of the way, so it could be fixed.  Since I didn't make this hole, but think it may have something to do with my freezing in the winter I asked if I could get some help from the maintenance crew.  

Of Course not!  Its too much of a liability concern, the maintenance crew isn't allowed to do that!  Ugh!  The saga will continue!  Of course my son has offered to come over weekend after next to help, but I just don't think it is fair!  

Ok, enough of my trials..... On to happier matters!  

I was incorrect last post.  Corduroy is not our book for September.... No, someone at the board got their wires crossed.  Fancy that!  

Our book for September is the Three Little Pigs.  

I'm sorry but I really don't feel this is an appropriate book for 3 year olds.  Three pigs go out into the world and get harassed by a wolf.  Said wolf tries to kill them, they instead kill the wolf

Too much killing for 3, 4 & 5 year olds.  They don't know how to tie their shoes, why learn about killing first!  But, we do what we are told!  

Of course,  I can not go without drawing my rendition of one of the scenes of the book, so here goes.  This author made the distinction in personalities of each pig a bit more defined.  

The first little pig said, "I'll buy your straw and build a house." 

 Just to make my drawings a bit more fun, I used crayon.  Crayon made the creations a lot easier to draw.  Don't tell my college professors.  Ha!  

                                  The first little pig of course is shown as a lazy pig.   

"I've got it," said the second pig, " I'll buy those sticks and build a house."

This interpretation shows the second pig somewhat festive.  It appears he is ready to "Party!"  

The third pig decided to buy some bricks.  "These bricks will make a fine and sturdy house." 

and, of course the third pig, being a rational mature and level headed pig, built the sturdy house.  

The disfunctional pigs were saved by their brother and all of them killed the evil bully.  "?" 

None the less, the drawings are done and I had fun doing them.  Notice I didn't bring up the wolf.  "Don't like the wolf."


The Three Little Pigs (Reading Railroad) by James Marshall (Oct 23, 2000)

 

I will be unveiling my halloween letters soon.  So excited!  Give me a day or two for all the paint and sealer to dry and I'll show them to you.  

I'm going to go in a little different direction after this and create words & sayings with my letters.  I think this is going to be great!   

Till next time, (found this on facebook, thought I would share!)
 Please feel free to leave any comments you would like to about my post, my art work, my views on literature, or yourself.  
  Tell you what, if you send me a comment, I will return my comment.  Communication is a wonderful thing.   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment