Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Back to School...

     It is August, which means it's back to school time in Tennessee.  School actually started on August 1st, (remember when we didn't go back until after Labor Day!) I went back a little bit before that, so I've been "very busy"!  

    I thought I would let you know what I've been up to, well.... in the realm of art.  Maybe no blog, but there was some art being created.  

    

 "You must be a friend," said Corduroy. "I've always wanted a friend." 

I became a teachers assistant in the Nashville, Metro Public School system in 2008.  Once my teachers found out I was an art ed major, they have been asking me to draw for the doors and bulletin boards in our rooms.  The curriculum in Pre-K Life Skills is "A book a month".  

Our book for September will be Corduroy. The story and pictures by Don Freeman.

The last page of this book really speaks to me.  When Lisa finally took Corduroy home was a very touching message, I felt that it deserved a spotlight in our room.  

Just wanted to show you the almost finished product.  

 

I thought about not showing you the cute little raccoon I drew on the bulletin board from our August book, The Kissing Hand,  as you can see it's sideways.  I emailed myself from snapfish and something went very wrong.  But, this is me talking, so I added it.  


 

Turn your head to the right and you will see it.  Ha!  My teacher wanted me to do this before I left work the day of the open house.  A lot of pressure, but I liked it.  

Ps.... I can't remember who wrote The Kissing Hand,  ..... 

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper and Nancy M. Leak

What did we ever do before Wikipedia and Google?  I vaguely remember, but it's hard.   


Back in 2012, I did this door for the book of the month.  "The Mitten". 


I also did this rendition of "Jamberry" in 2012

    I also did a very large rendition of " The Napping House ", but I don't have anything but a portion of the painting and it's very blurry. This was extremely large. 
A blurry copy of the painting I did of The Napping House.  2012 also.  


I have done many more, but I have no pictures, so you will just have to take my word for it.  Since I have an Etsy Shop, a facebook page and this blog my renderings will not be as elaborate as in the past.  But, I will still do them, they are a lot of fun.  

The Mitten by Jan Brett

Jamberry by Bruce Degen 

The Napping House by Audrey Wood and Don Wood

********************************************************************

What else have I been doing you ask?  Ha, I know..... I'm just gonna tell you, so please act like you asked.  

Messy, messy, messy!  Finishing up the "Lollipop L"
Happy Halloween "H"
I started my "P"  paper & paper dolls collage. 
A lot of odds and ends for inspiration and future works....

  And, while in the studio doing some painting on my recent letters, I looked over to see if I could find some more red paint ( I left the drawer with the paint in it on the bed.....my studio/extra bedroom) and look what I found..... 

What a life! 

As far as Papa's portrait..... Ha!  still in the works, going slow.  I know I'm not going to come down and find it finished.  No matter what we tell our kids, there are no little fairies that come and do work for you while you are asleep.  I know because I prayed for them, and they didn't come..... Ha!  Just kidding!  

 

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the raccoon drawing! I can show you how to flip the picture... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For the compliment and the favor! You are sweet!

      Delete