Thursday, July 25, 2013

What am I up to?

A day in the life of Becky.......  

   

      I have somehow been in the habit lately of doing my sewing on the weekend and doing other things during the week.  Not a bad schedule if you ask me.  ( I don't know how this will work once school begins next week)  During the summer, it has worked very well.  

 

    I will explain that it took so long to complete the paper mache "K" that starting a new letter is a tad bit exciting.  Especially since I've had in my mind where I wanted to go with it for a good while.   

   
   As you can see, I have been experimenting again.  

    I wanted to do my "L" with lollipops on it.  Not the lollipops of today with action hero's as the pop.  I wanted the old fashion lollipops that I use to walk to the store and get for a penny, at the most 5cents.  

   I've had some heavy gel staring at me for a good while now, so I thought... (dangerous) that it might be nice to lift a few of the lollipops up off the letter a bit.  

I tried some gel on a piece of paper first to see how long it took to dry.  ( a long time.  You know what they say about watching a pot  come to a boil) but being the person I am, I decided to give it a try.... I must say it is hard getting gel just where you want it, and removing when I got it somewhere I didn't want it.  

   

   Now, I wait.... and wait...... and wait.  But, I'm hoping when it's done and I can paint the lollipops, it will come out "Oh so cute!"  

 

   On to more projects.........

 

   Ever since I was a girl taking art lessons, I have had this phobia about doing portraits.  I don't know why exactly, except the measurements were just too much.  They never came out like they were suppose to, and since I don't have a lot of patience when my art is concerned, I stopped trying.  Well, I'm an adult now.  You might say that I put drawing a portrait on my "bucket list"  so here I go again.  I have turned into a somewhat patient person and I'm full of new ideas and new experiences, I am stubborn.  So, here I go again.  

   Crazy me decided to try my hand at a portrait of my late grandfather.  The photo is a black and white and it was from a photograph when he was middle aged.  

   Ok, I'm gonna do this if it takes the rest of my life, and I've been put in a straight jacket.  If others can do it lickety split, so can I!  So there.......

my rendition of Papa!

      Then, I got this wild hair to do a still life..... How many hours are in a day?  Not enough..... so I got out some nice things, placed them in a box with a pink silk nightgown from my late grand mothers closet and voila, a still life.  

  I took a black and white to make sure I got the values of dark vs. light correct.   

 

I am very excited about all these projects.  Talking myself into understanding they may all take a while, but in the meantime, it will be fun and enlightening and I will gain strength and confidence in myself and my abilities.  And, last but not least, I will discover that I can do a portrait!  Easy peasy.  Well, maybe not easy, but I can do it!  A lot of old voices in my head to shut up! 
   Trying to see what I've already drawn may be too much for anyone with glasses, it is me... but I thought I would show you I have started.  

 

   My summer has been spent doing art projects, sewing... what I intended when school let out.  But, I have also read, played, "dated"  and I sit on my deck a great deal since my tax refund allowed me to do it up a bit.  
   

   Next week begins another school year and I will be starting at a new school.  (very excited) So, my summer break is coming to an end.  I will not be sad, I have a lot of very happy memories and I will never forget the kids from my past.  And, I have lots of new children to meet.  And lots of art work to complete.  My life couldn't get any better! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment